Saturday, April 30, 2011

Pie N Burger

Last week I was in Pasadena CA and decided to check out the best Burger in town.  I looked on a few websites and kept seeing Pie N Burger mentioned.  Burgers AND Pie??  what more could a girl ask for?
I went in search of it through old town Pasadena.  I got lost a few times, even with the GPS, but finally found the joint...  hole in the wall.  At first glance I was a bit scared.  I had read that it opened in 1963 and I'm willing to bet they haven't done a lot to the interior since 1963.  It looked like a 60's diner with brown counters and a few tables in the back.  I sat at the counter  next to a couple in their 80's and ordered the cheeseburger, fries and a diet soda.  The service was fine and I could see the cook at the grill flipping the patties so I knew they would be freshly made.  The burger arrived and it was your typical diner burger.  Pretty darn tasty but a little greasy and I forgot to ask if they put a weird sauce on it and they did. Why oh  why does everyone think that putting a Thousand Island sauce on a burger is a good thing?  I wish the waitress had mentioned it but she didn't.  I scrapped it off and chowed down.  Overall a good burger , tasty meat, bun held together nicely and was lightly toasted.  The fries were  okay but basic.  The mistake I made was not saving room for the pie.  Later everyone told me the pie is the real highlight of the experience.  The waitress read off a selection of about 10 pies to choose from but I was just too full.   Now I wish I had ordered the Butterscotch creme pie to go.  
I might go back if I'm in Pasadena again .   Not sure I'd drive out of my way.  But next time it will be half a burger and a slice of pie!

No comments:

Post a Comment