Sunday, August 2, 2009

Jim Denny's Review

We chose Jim Denny's for our second Burger Joint. I called the Hastings household around noon on Saturday to see who was ready to write a restaurant review only to find out that the guys were still asleep. Jane had been at work for a couple of hours and Savannah had already gone on a bike ride, worked in her room and probably completed a couple of craft projects knowing her. I told her to wake them up and tell them we were having burgers for breakfast. An hour and a half later we were on our way.

I loved Jim Denny's. It's located on 12th between H & I. They've been serving burgers for 75 years but the recent owner took over just 5 years ago. The location is small but has a lot of character. We entered and sat at the counter. There was a lot to look at. They have a collection of chickens and roosters around the room, some colorful personalities working behind the counter and the grill right in full view of everyone. Sitting at the counter you get to see the burgers grilled in all of their goodness and greasiness. The menu has a collection of burgers to choose from. I went with the 5 cent burger which isn't really 5 cents at all. In fact it's $5.50. It's a 1/6 lb of meat that comes with lettuce, tomato, mayo, mustard and onions. I added cheddar cheese. They have a selection of cheeses to choose from along with bacon. Also available are the double burger (2 of the 5 cent burgers) for 7.50, the super burger- 1/2 lb of meat for $8.75 & the Mega burger- 1 lb of meat for $9.75. The small one was plenty for me.

I was starving as I watched them grill it and couldn't stop pointing out the grill action to Savannah until she told me to stop because she could see it for herself. My burger was perfect. The bread was nice and soft and not too much. The produce was fresh, no hard center tomatoes, and beautiful green lettuce. The burger was juicy and not too greasy. Just the perfect amount of grease. It was seasoned well and not overcooked. I was not as impressed with the fries. They were small and I thought possibly over cooked. A little too crunchy for me. But, I managed to eat everything on my plate and drink half of Savannah's milkshake.

Overall it was a delightful lunch. The food was good, the location was fun and I was eating with some of my favorite people in the world. What's not to love! Afterwards we meet up with Jane and went to the Sacramento Film festival. We saw a collection of animated movies. I didn't even eat dinner because I was still full late into the evening.

I would give the burger a 9 out of 10 but the fries I would only give a 6. The building and the service get an 8. I'm going to round that out to a solid 8.
Now I have to go back and try their breakfast.... maybe that's the next blog subject... Pancakes!



8 Bun Rating for Jim-Denny's

2 comments:

  1. sounds like a not to be missed place, maybe I can join you next time...
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not "prejudiced" against skinny fries. I thought they were very fresh and tasty with just the right amount of "snap".

    ~ jack

    ReplyDelete